Dental implants are a safe and effective long-term solution for patients who have missing teeth. The implant is made of titanium, which acts as an artificial tooth root. The titanium base offers a strong, solid foundation for the replacement tooth. A dental implant is designed to act and feel just like your natural teeth and is quickly becoming the new standard for tooth replacement.
What to Expect
After your initial examination, Dr. Guthrie can determine if an implant is the best treatment for you. Dr. Guthrie is highly trained in restorative cosmetic dental procedures and will develop a plan of action that will offer you the best possible outcome.
There are three components of a dental implant including the implant, the abutment and the crown or prosthetic tooth. Dental implants are set in the jawbone in the area of the missing tooth. After some time healing, the jawbone will fuse with the new artificial root creating a strong base for the placement of a crown. The crown is custom-made to match the other teeth in the mouth and is then attached to the implant. The end result is an artificial tooth that looks and functions just like your natural teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits to having implants as replacement teeth including:
- Improve appearance. Dental implants are designed to look and function just like your natural teeth. They are strong and do not slip like dentures or bridges.
- Improved speech. Speech may be affected by missing teeth. Since dental implants function like natural teeth, you will be able to speak and chew normally.
- Enjoy life without ever having to worry about dentures slipping or malfunctioning.
- They will not decay as they are made of porcelain or composite resin.
- Protect healthy bone. Dental implants are the only restorative procedure that preserves and stimulates bone growth as they are placed directly into the jawbone. They actually help prevent bone loss.
- Retain your natural face shape and smile with confidence.