Myofunctional & Oral Health
James River Family Dentistry is pleased to offer The Myobrace® System to children and pre-teens to address the underlying causes of poor myofunctional habits. Examples of poor myofunctional habits that you may notice in your child include:
- Mouth breathing and possibly snoring at night
- Increased daytime fatigue
- Chronic open mouth posture at rest (lips are open instead of closed)
- Speech and articulation problems such as a lisp
- Dental abnormalities like an overbite or an open bite
By diagnosing and treating poor myofunctional habits early, your child’s mouth and jaw can grow to its full potential reducing and possibly eliminating the need for orthodontic treatment.
What is The Myobrace® System?
The Myobrace® System uses a series of removable intraoral appliances designed to grow with children and gently guide dentition during myofunctional treatment. Using light forces to align the teeth, Myobrace® helps children learn to breathe through their nose, rest the tongue in its proper position (roof of mouth), and widen the upper arch to make room for permanent teeth. Myobrace® treatment can:
- Correct poor oral habits such as thumb-sucking and pacifier use
- Develop and align the jaw
- Straighten teeth by gently guiding newly erupting teeth
- Optimize facial development
- Restore proper function of the jaw and tongue muscles to enable correct chewing motion
In addition to a series of appliances worn for one hour each day and overnight while sleeping, Myobrace® offers a patient education program, Myobrace® Activities, that includes activities to further correct the myofunctional habits that cause improper dental and jaw development. The activities include: breathing, tongue, swallowing, lip and cheek exercises and should be performed twice a day in addition to wearing the appliance.
Benefits of The Myobrace® System
Studies have shown that correcting poor myofunctional habits early leads to greater success of training the orofacial muscles and jaw to work together properly. When the muscles of the face, jaw and tongue work together, a patient will experience a lifetime of benefits such as:
- Improving speech issues and articulation
- Improving biting and chewing
- Restoring the natural function of the airway, eliminating mouth breathing and sleep apnea
- No braces approach to orthodontic treatment yielding straight and aligned teeth
- Improving overall health
If you think your child may have any of the symptoms of poor myofunctional habits, James River Family Dentistry encourages you to take action early. To find out if your child is a candidate for The Myobrace® System, call (804) 323-4200 or request an appointment online for an evaluation.